Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Loololan

In preparing for my summer in the Sudan, I decided to read through my journal from my first trip to Africa back in 2001 when I backpacked across Kenya for 11 weeks on the NOLS East Africa semester course. I hiked to the top of Mt. Kenya, traversed the savannahs and elephant-filled forests of Maasailand, went on safari, and sailed ancient dhows (Swahili sailing vessels) up the archipelago off the Kenyan coast. It was an amazing semester - a truly "once in a lifetime" experience. As I read through my entries from Maasailand, I came across the Kimaa word "loololan." According to Joshua, my Maasai NOLS instructor, this means "crazy person who carries their luggage on their back," ie. a backpacker. Though I believe the more objective definition of loololan is "one who wanders with luggage on their back," I believe I prefer Joshua's interpretation. As I begin packing my beloved backpack for another African adventure, I know many of you, like me, will find this name completely apropos for my blog.

1 comment:

This was once a regular blog but, after six said...

What a great word! I look forward to more posts about luggage-burdened wandering...